Friday, November 11, 2011

Just saw Google's touching Dear Sophie commercial

Dude,

I just saw Google's "Dear Sophie" commercial and maybe there was some kind of emotion evoked deep inside. Judging by the Youtube comments, the emotion evoked in me was very different from other viewers.

Everyone else apparently cried, but I couldn't help but be appalled at the blatant violation of the Gmail terms of service.

It's not really that the TOS was violated. Clearly this happens every day, but I am disappointed that the "do no evil" company would use a TOS violation as an add campaign. I honestly don't even know how to interpret it. It brings up the deeply philosophical question, "does a company that vows to do no evil, commit evil if it is against themselves?" I don't know the answer. All I do know is I can't look at that toothless grin without stirring some latent childhood nostalgia.

Maybe it has nothing to do with TOS. Maybe the anger stems from some jealousy that I'll never be able to relive my child hood memories simply by logging on to my Gmail account. All I do know, is it upsets me when a television commercial makes me cry my eyes out like a little girl.

Thanks,
Other Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment