Sunday, January 9, 2011

CES 2011 - What Caught my Eye

The first thing I saw that was particularly interesting I caught on slashdot.org; a mobile PC gaming device. It's interesting because technology is getting to the point this is possible--at least as a prototype. My personal opinion is that it will be some time before this becomes viable if ever (you know because people play the latest high end games, and they take a beefier computer than a netbook).

What I find particularly interesting is the keyboard. I see potential uses that prove the netbook format is not dying. Check out the video with the extremely serious Asian guy to see what I mean.




My first concern about netbooks for gaming is the Atom processor is on the puny side. To quote one of the best slashdot comments I saw on this subject, "if they went dual core Atom that is just double [crappy]." (edited for the kids)

Maybe I'm not easy to impress, but so far this was the only thing that caught my eye.

Just to comment on Michael's impressions of Ford; I agree it's great to see a car company pushing the envelope. Ever since I found out Ford wasn't in need of a bail out I started paying attention to what they do. On the same note I was also interested to learn about their in dash tree growing game. They are using game design mechanics to make people want to drive more efficiently. The better you drive, the more your tree grows.

Full disclosure: I have been left on the side of the road by Ford, Chevy, and Dodge.

Credit to filmfuturist.com; I would have asked for permission but I couldn't find any real contact information. (really, get an email address because I'm not adding you to my facebook. I only have one facebook friend and that's the way it's staying!)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Michael, I just found this and should have added it to my post. It's not worthy of it's own post. I just thought you should know.

    http://www.techspot.com/news/41896-android-passes-iphone-in-the-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see the iPhone moving in a direction that gives people options.

    ReplyDelete